Answer: This is a general explanation of the social security benefits that you, as a divorced person, may be entitled to receive based upon your former spouse’s social security work record.

While there are some additional conditions and exceptions (always check with your local social security office), you can collect benefits under your ex’s social security record if:

  • You are 62 or older; you were married to your former spouse for a minimum of ten years; you have not remarried; and your former spouse has achieved entitlement to receive his or her own benefits, even if he / she waits until they are older before actually claiming them.
  • When the time comes that you are eligible to receive benefits based upon your own social security work record, you have the option of receiving the full amount due that is due to you(based on your record), or receiving the amount that is due to you under your former spouse’s work record, whichever benefit is greater.

Your former spouse always receives his or her FULL social security benefit even when you opt to receive your benefits under their work record.

We welcome hearing from you and we invite your questions. There is no obligation. No one will ever know that we spoke or what we discussed. Everything you say is privileged, confidential, and completely classified. We do not maintain a mailing list and will not contact you unless you ask us to.

Contacting us is easy!

Call 630-928-0600 


Click Here to submit a message through our contact form. 

If we are in court or in a meeting when you call, one of us will personally get back to you as quickly as possible. We are extremely discreet with callbacks and reply emails. Just leave your name and a secure email address or personal cell phone number.

Kari and Richard are staunch advocates of the non-court approach to divorce, and are also active and seasoned litigators with over 80 years of combined trial experience in the Illinois divorce courts of Cook and DuPage counties.